PRIME (and Sun workstations and servers) Installed Software
The following notes describe software and features on Prime
and the workstations that can be accessed by individual users.
This is not an exhaustive list, as the standard Unix tools and commands
are also available. If you are not sure what you are looking for,
try a keyword search on the manual pages with the command:
or go to the Sun web site with all of the manuals for
or just the manual for
or try google for more information.
- man -k KEYWORD
Extra Software List - see /usr/local/Index for latest version
Specific software packages that have been installed on Prime,
and the location/method of reading the documentation for them, are:a
- META control packages
- Compilers, interpreters and debuggers.
- Software development packages
- Web browsers/downloaders
- MAIL PROGRAMS
- Text Processors, preprocessors, editors....
- Graphics/picture utilities
- Graphics libraries
- Data bases
- PROGRAM/SYSTEM BUILDING UTILITIES
- Software Version Control Systems
- Networking tools - you need root to actively sniff all packets, but you can see your own!
- Compression/uncompression utilities
- Communcations, file transfer programs
- Various Helper programs/systems, Gnu util programs
- General libraries, located in /usr/local/lib unless noted:
- Apache software
- Freedesktop.org (X.org) software
- General Gnu libraries
- Gnu Security/encryption related packages
- Additional security, encryption, authentication libraries
- Computational libraries
- Other general libraries
- Electrical Engineering Packages
META control packages
- VirtualBox - virutal machine software (i386 machines only.) Get the user manual
from THIS PAGE
Get virtural machine images for various operating systems from:
- MPICH2 - Distributed processing software (p1,p2,odd and even machines)
- README - quickstart
- Docmentatation list
Compilers, interpreters and debuggers.
- Sun Sparc C and C++ - man cc or man CC and
- Sun FORTRAN 77 and 90 - man f77 or man f90 S
- BlueJ - interactive Java envirionmant
- GNU ada (ver 4.5.2) - man pages (man ada)
- GNU C and C++ (ver 4.5.2) - man pages (man gcc and man g++)
- Lua - scripting language - on-line documentation.
- Lisp is available as gnu common lisp - man gcl
- Lisp is also available in emacs. Documentation is avaliable in the
BIG on-line documentation.
- /bin/Perl (5.8.4) - man pages (man perl) or
- /usr/local/bin/Perl (5.14.1) - man pages (man perl) or
- Prolog (ver 3.1.2) - man pl and
- Python (ver 2.4) -
- R (ver 2.13.1) in /usr/local/bin/ -
- Ruby (ver 1.9.2p136) -
on-line documentation ruby-doc.
Scheme - Dr.Scheme (ver 372) -
- drscheme -- the Scheme development environment
- mzscheme -- a text-only Scheme interpreter
- mred -- a graphical Scheme interpreter
- gdb (ver 7.2) - gnu debugger - man gdb and
- ddd visual debugger
- discover - program to find bad memory accesses in dynamic memory for c programs.
use discover as:
- cc -g SOURCE -l PMGNAME
- discover -w - -o PGMTORUN PGMNAME
- uncover - shows the code executed in a program when testing the program. Allows you to see what code
you have not yet tested.
- analyzer - graphical interface to output produced by discover and uncover.
Software development packages
- Eclipse Java development platform.
- spin - Formal verification of software systems. Spin homepage and documentation.
- ispin - graphical interface to spin.
- graphviz - graph visualization software. on-line documentation.
is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax,
supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, SCP, SFTP, TFTP, TELNET, DICT, LDAP, LDAPS and FILE.
curl supports SSL certificates, HTTP POST, HTTP PUT, FTP uploading,
HTTP form based upload, proxies, cookies, user+password authentication
(Basic, Digest, NTLM, Negotiate, kerberos...), file transfer resume, proxy tunneling and more.
- lynx - web browser for terminals and batch processing
- links - Updated version of lynx web browser for terminals and batch processing
- elinks - another text based web browser. Online documentation is here.
- firefox - Version 2? of the web browser
- firefox3 - Version 3 of the web browser
is a non-interactive commandline tool, so it may easily be called from scripts, cron jobs, terminals
etc, for retrieving files using HTTP, HTTPS and FTP.
is an OLD email reader on some machines that is supposed to be easy to use.
It is unsuported since 1997.
is a small, outdate text-based mail client for Unix operating systems.
Unsupported, use alpine instead.
is a small but very powerful text-based mail client for Unix operating systems.
a fast, easy to use email client that is suitable for both the inexperienced email user
as well as for the most demanding of power users (or so they say). It is the successor to pine.
- Web mail via any web browser
- /usr/ucb/mail A command line unix mail reader/sender, BSD version.
- mailx - A unix mail reader/sender, system V version.
Text Processors, preprocessors, editors....
a VERY simple text composer.
- nano - replacement for pico, vi, vim (new version of vi)
- emacs - if using ssh, run as emacs -nw
- xemacs - mouse enable, on workstations or with Xwindows.
- tex - both tex and latex are available.
- tth - tex (and latex) to htmp converter. Use man tth or
on-line web documentation.
- latex2gif - shell script to convert latex documents to gif files.
- ps2gif - shell script to convert postscript file to gif file.
- gs (ghostscript) http://www.ghostscript.com/ 8.63 2009-1-22
- texi2html - texiinfo to html converter - man texi2html.
- Staroffice - Ver 7 - Sun's version of Microsoft Office. Execute as soffice.
- Openoffice - Ver 3.1 - Open source version of Staroffice. Execute as ooffice.
New User's Guide
- dia A diagram creation tool that supports UML modeling.
- The Gimp - photomanipulation like photoshop.
- gd - dynamic create of images gd homepage.
- fltk - Fast Light Toolkit (cross-platform GUI builder) Homepage
- glut - OpenGL Utility Toolkit (rather old) Homepage
- glew - The OpenGL Extension Wrangler Library. Basic usage pages
- netpbm -
- SDL - access to keyboard, mouse, audio, 3d hardware via OpenGL Homepage
- sqlite - mini verison of mysql Documentation.
- mysql - free, generic data base Documentation.
- bdb - berkeley data base
- BDB - Berkeleydb
PROGRAM/SYSTEM BUILDING UTILITIES
a helper tool used when compiling applications and libraries.
It helps you insert the correct compiler options on the command line.
(GNU M4) is the Gnu implementation of the traditional Unix macro processor.
- ake/manual/index.html> automake
is a tool for automatically generating `Makefile.in' files
suitable for use with Autoconf.
an extensible package of M4 macros that produce shell scripts to
automatically configure software source code packages.
Bison is a general-purpose parser generator that converts an
annotated context-free grammar into an LALR(1) or GLR parser
for that grammar, upwardly compatible with YACC.
a tool for generating scanners.
A scanner, sometimes called a tokenizer, is a program which recognizes lexical patterns in text.
- ggrep (gnu grep)
an extended version of grep.
- gmake (gnu make)
is a tool which controls the generation of executables and other
non-source files of a program from the program's source files.
a cross platform, open-source build system.
is a generic library support script.
Software Version Control Systems
is a version control system. Using it, you can record the history of your source files.
an open source version control system that superceeds and is is very similar to CVS,
a "faster" version control system, with a large amount of on-line documentation.
a fast, lightweight Source Control Management system designed for efficient handling
of very large distributed projects.
Networking tools - you need root to actively sniff all packets, but you can see your own!
an network protocol analyzer developed by an international team of experts.
terminal mode version of wireshark - Xwindows not required.
- dump traffic on a network
- gives stats on tcp connections
- Network MAPper - utility for network exploration or security auditing.
In addition to the classic command-line Nmap executable, the Nmap suite
includes an advanced GUI and results viewer (Zenmap),
a flexible data transfer, redirection, and debugging tool (Ncat),
and a utility for comparing scan results (Ndiff).
The Packet Capture library provides a high level interface
to packet capture systems. All packets on the network,
even those destined for other hosts, are accessible through this mechanism.
- libsmi ,/a> s a C library that allows
network management applications to access SMI MIB module information through a well-defined API.
- zip (and unzip) - provided by Sun, same as the one on a pc.
- gzip ( and gunzip) - the GNU version of zip.
- bzip2 ( and bunzip2) - A public domain compression routine, with some additional
features, such as the ability to sometimes recover
compressed files that are damaged.
- zlib compression library.
- gtar (gnu tar)
provides the ability to create tar archives, as well as various other kinds of manipulation.
a popular data compression program, which includes the programs:
- Standard unix compression tools (see man pages) - compress, p7zip
Communcations, file transfer programs
an open source utility that provides fast incremental file transfer.
Various Helper programs/systems
simple file system browser.
- Gnu binutils - The link to documentation at Gnu ON THIS PAGE.
- Gnu Coreutils - Documentation at Gnu HERE. Note that all binaries are are compile with names starting with a "g", such as Gnu cp is gcp in /usr/local/bin.
- lsof (see man page for documentation) - shows which programs have a file open.
General libraries, located in /usr/local/lib unless noted:
Gnome related libraries - local compilations, not OS distributions:
provides the core object system used in GNOME, the main loop implementation,
and a large set of utility functions for strings and common data structures.
provides the set of accessibility interfaces that are implemented by other toolkits and applications
is the core text and font handling library used in GNOME applications.
is a library for image loading and manipulation.
An intermediate layer which isolates GTK+ from the details of the windowing system.
is the primary library used to construct user interfaces in GNOME applications.
It provides user interface controls and signal callbacks to control user interfaces.
- libffi - A Portable Foreign Function Interface Library
provides a number of useful routines for building modern applications,
including session management, activation of files and URIs, and displaying help. WILL BEDEPRECATED.
Bonobo is a framework for creating reusable components for use in GNOME applications, built on top of CORBA. WILL BEDEPRECATED.
ORBit is a fast and lightweight CORBA server. WILL BE DEPRECATED.
- libIDL - Creates trees of CORBA Interface Definition Language (IDL) files.
- orbitcpp - c interface definitions to ORBit.
- Cairo Cairo Documentation
Cairo is a 2D graphics library with support for multiple output devices
D-Bus is a message bus system, a simple way for applications to talk to one another.
Glib bindinds for D-Bus.
- intltool - gnome tool to internationalize messages.
Powerful and feature complete XML handling library.
- expat is an XML parser library written in C
- poppler a PDF rendering library.
- libspectre a PDF rendering library.
- Apache Ant - manual
To use Apache Ant, set the environment variale ANT_HOME to /usr/local/ant
and add /usr/local/ant/bin to your PATH environment variable.
- Apache Portable Runtime library - apr APR core library.
- Apache Portable Runtime library - apr-util APR utilities.
- Apache Portable Runtime library - apr-iconv APR a portable implementation of the iconv() library
Freedesktop.org (X.org) software
General Gnu libraries
- readline -
is the GNU readline library.
utilities are a set of tools that provides a framework to help other GNU packages produce multi-lingual messages.
- GNU Pth - The GNU Portable Threads.
Pth is a very portable POSIX/ANSI-C based library for Unix platforms
which provides non-preemptive priority-based scheduling for multiple threads of
execution (aka ``multithreading'') inside event-driven applications.
Gnu Security/encryption related packages
GNU Privacy Guard - allows to encrypt and sign your data and communication,
features a versatile key managment system as well as access modules for
all kind of public key directories. Both versions 1 and 2 are available.
is a small collection of dialog programs that allow GnuPG to read
passphrases and PIN numbers in a secure manner.
is a small library with error codes and descriptions shared by most GnuPG related software.
is a general purpose cryptographic library based on the code from GnuPG.
is the IPC library used by some GnuPG related software.
- libgtls - the GNU Transport Layer Security Library
GnuPG Made Easy - is a C language library that allows to add support for cryptography to a program.
It is designed to make access to public key crypto engines like GnuPG or GpgSM easier for applications.
a library to make the tasks of working with X.509 certificates, CMS data and related objects more easy.
library developed for ASN.1 (Abstract Syntax Notation One) structures management
and DER (Distinguished Encoding Rules) encoding functions.
- The OpenCDK library implement basic parts of the OpenPGP message format.
Additional security, encryption, authentication libraries
is a package that negotiates which authentication method to use,
especially with web servers.
is a library implementing the SSH2 protocol, dependent upon openssh or libgcrypt.
A toolkit implementing the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL v2/v3)
and Transport Layer Security (TLS v1) protocols as well as a
full-strength general purpose cryptography library.
is the Simple Authentication and Security Layer, a method for
adding authentication support to connection-based protocols.
-the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library.
- MPFR library
is a C library for multiple-precision floating-point computations with correct rounding.
Graphics Libraries - Fonts
is a software font engine capable of producing high-quality output (glyph images).
is a library for configuring and customizing font access.
Graphics Libraries - Imaging
is a free reference library for reading and writing PNGs (Portable Network Graphics)
- The OpenJPEG library is an open-source JPEG 2000 codec written in C language.
- jpeg library
- Old jpeg libraries used by some programs. Download documentation file
- pixman pixel manipulation library.
- libXrender X Rendering extension library.
- Xrender X Rendering Extension.
- jasper is an open-soure initiative concerning JPEG-2000 codec specifications.
- GraphicsMagic tools and libraries which support reading, writing, and manipulating an image in over 88 major formats. Programming interface documents are here.
Other general libraries
http/WebDAV client library, with C interface.
is a C-based HTTP client library built upon the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) library.
- Alibrary is a set of functions that implement regular expression
pattern matching using the same syntax and semantics as Perl 5.
Electrical Engineering Packages
- Pspice 3
including BSIM3 and BSIM4 moduels. Electronic circuit simulator.
- spice3 - The simulator
- nutmeg - A stand-alone data analysis program;
Spice3 without the simulation capability.
- Open Circuit Design Software
- MAGIC VLSI layout tool
- IRSIM switch-level circuit simulator
- XCircuit the circuit drawing and schematic capture tool.
- NETGEN netlist comparison (LVS) and format manipulation